One hundred and twenty-four type 2 diabetics formed the study group (55 males and 69 females). Thirty-three patients (26.6%) had significant bacteriuria (9 males and 24 females). Their ages ranged from 36 to 70 years with a mean of 56±6.4. Table 1 shows the age and sex distribution of diabetics with AB. The peak incidence is in the forth and the sixth decade of life. The mean fasting blood glucose and two-hour postprandial blood glucose levels in the population studied were 5.5±1.3mmol/l (range 4.4-6.1mmol/l) and 7.8±0.1mmol/l (range 7.3-8.7mmol/l), respectively.

Table 2 shows the microorganisms isolated from the urine specimens of the study population. Gram-negative bacilli were the predominant organisms isolated-23  (69.7%). They included Klebsiella pneumonia 14 (42.4%), E. coli 7 (21.2%), and 2 (6.1%) atypical coliforms that could not be identified further. Gram-positive cocci isolated were E. faecalis, S. pyogenes, and Coagulase negative staphylococcus epidermidis and they account for 10 (30.3%). canadian antibiotics

Table 1. AGE AND SEX DISTRIBUTION OF DIABETICS WITH ASYMPTOMATIC BACTERIURIA

AGE (YRS)

MALES%

FEMALES%

TOTAL NOS%
30-39

1(11.1)

1(4.2)

2(6.0)
40-49

1(11.1)

9(37.5)

10(30.3)
50-59

1(11.1)

5(20.8)

6(18.2)
60-69

4(44.4)

6(25)

10(30.3)
>70

2(22.2)

3(12.5)

5(15.2)
Total

9(27.3)

24(72.7)

33(100)

Table 3 shows the sensitivity pattern of each organism. A large number of the organisms isolated in this study were sensitive, gentamicin. Very few isolates were sensitive, septrin and tetracycline. The two coliforms that were not identified were resistant to all antibiotics tested.

Table 2. THE MICROORGANISMS ISOLATED FROM THE URINE OF DIABETIC PATIENTS

MICROORGANISMS NUMBER OF PATIENTS (%)
Klebsiella pneumonia 14(42.4)
E. coli 7(21.2)
E. faecalis 4(12.1)
S. pyogenes 3(9.1)
Coagulase negative Staphlyloccocus 3(9.1)
Atypical coliforms 2(6.1)
Total 33(100)

In the nondiabetic control group (124 patients, 55 males and 69 females), 7 (5.6%) of the patients had significant bacteriuria. E.coli was the causative microorganism in 5 (71.4%) of these patients. The remaining 2 (28.6%) had E. faecalis. The prevalence of AB was significantly higher among the diabetics than in the nondiabetic control group (p<0.0001). There is a positive significant association between the duration of disease (p<0.01) and the age of the patients (p<0. 001) and the presence of significant bacteriuria. The degree of diabetic control did not influence the risk of development of significant bacteriuria, p=0.05. pharmacy uk

Table 3. URINE ISOLATES FROM DIABETIC PATIENTS AND THEIR ANTIBIOTIC SENSITIVITY PATTERN

ORGANISM NOS OF ISOLATES NUMBER OF ISOLATES SENSITIVE TO ANTIBIOTICS
A COT NIT G TET CAR NAL TOB CIP 0 CXM CAZ CHL ERY CEP NOV STR CLO
K. pneumonia

14

0 4 11 12 3 0 7 7 12 10 3 4 0 NT 0 0 0 0
E. coli

7

0 1 7 6 3 0 4 2 5 7 2 0 0 NT 0 0 0 0
E. faecalis

4

2 2 1 0 1 1 0 0 2 4 3 0 1 2 0 0 0 0
S. pyogenes

3

1 0 0 2 0 1 1 0 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0
C-ve Staph.

3

0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 CM 1 1 0 1 2 0 1 1 1
A. coliforms

2

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 NT 0 0 0 0